Wednesday 11 May 2011

Incredible Edibles

Did anyone else have this toy growing up? My mom had one as a child and bought me one for Christmas in the 1990s too.




It was so much fun to fill little molds with fruity flavoured Gobble-Degoop, tuck the molds into the little plastic oven with a set of tongs, and then minutes later out popped your mold filled with little cooked wiggly candies.

The candies didn't taste so great but the whole experience was so much fun that I didn't care. Plus this was a toy that my mom played with and that made it cool.

What was not cool was that it was discovered that Gobble-Degoop had carcinogens in it so that meant no more incredible edibles. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted and I don't think the tiny amount of candy I ate had any lasting effects in me.

Anyway, what got me thinking about my old little candy baking oven was this delicious treat I came up with for an appetizer. Philly and Honey Ginger Carrot Wrapped Scallops.

After I made the appetizer, all the fun I had when making my little jiggly creations came back to me. I had felt like a scientist then and now I felt awesome too. These little sweet and gingery carrots were great wrapped around a juicy scallop. It's surprising what I can come up!


That same day I was feeling extra creative so I decided to cook another appetizer and came up with a little cake version of my favourite salad, a spinach and mandarin orange salad. Here's my Philly and Spinach Cakes.


Now back to the drawing board to try and come up with a few creations and maybe while I'm doing that, I will cook up an old favourite. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment