Wednesday 6 July 2011

Hail Caesar!

What a beautiful day out today. The weather is so warm and beautiful that it just makes me crave cool dinners.

One of the favourite cool dinners at my house is a BBQ Chicken Caesar Salad because it is substantial enough for the big eaters, especially in large quantities, and light enough for the smaller eaters.

And cooking just one meal to suit everyone is definitely a triumph, I should know!

When I was younger I told my mom that I was going to stop eating red meat. I said it in the fifth grade and didn't stop my vegetarianism until I started university.

Hey, my university was small and so was my cafeteria. Whatever looked good, I was going to eat.

But during my time as a vegetarian, I think I must have driven my mom bonkers with all my rules.

1. No eating red meat. No beef, pork, lamb, etc. Chicken and fish were ok, maybe they just less cute?

2. No cooking my food in the same dish or with the same utensils as said meat. Yes, I was that picky. Who knows if my mom actually did it though...

3. I wanted as nice a dinner as everyone else, even if the dinner for everyone else was something I didn't choose to eat. And that meant sometimes cooking two dinners.

So all that being said, I am happy to enjoy a BBQ Chicken Caesar Salad with my big eating boyfriend. Neither of us complains and we both leave the table full and happy.


BBQ Chicken Caesar Salad

4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1/4 cup BBQ sauce, store bought or maybe try my homemade sauce
1 medium heart of Romaine lettuce, washed, dried, and torn into small pieces
4 hot dog buns, chopped into small pieces
4 cloves of garlic, minced and divided
1/3 cup + 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup plain yogurt
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon mustard
1 pinch salt and pepper
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese

1. BBQ your chicken breasts with your BBQ sauce and set aside to rest.

2. Heat two tablespoons olive oil and 2 cloves of minced garlic in a frying pan. Add hot dog buns and toast for croutons. You can use any kind of bread or store bought croutons if you like. I just always have extra hot dog buns laying around in the summer and this is a great way to use them up.

3. Combine 1/3 cup olive oil, plain yogurt, lemon juice, mustard, remaining garlic, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Stir until well combined.

You might think you should add more lemon juice, and try it if you want to, but because the plain yogurt is so tart on its own I don't like to add too much.



4. Serve tossed salad, chicken, croutons, and Parmesan cheese in separate bowls, mix everything together in a large bowl, or plate for your family. I usually serve mine in separate bowls or plate everything together because the croutons can look an awful like the chicken. If the big eaters get only croutons, well then the meal's not very successful.

5. Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment