Tuesday 19 July 2011

I Carrot About You

When I was young, my mom used to write little notes for me where she pretended to be the Easter Bunny, Santa, the Tooth Fairy, and any other character she could think to celebrate.

The writing always looked exactly the same, big swirly letters with little curls on the ends, but somehow I didn't catch on.

I think I just wanted to believe so badly that I didn't notice. I still like to get the notes too, so I think that must be it.

One thing other thing she did with the notes was include rhyming poems in them. The poems were so much fun to read, and I felt like I was Santa's favourite because none of my friends received individualized poems from Santa!

Here's a few lines from one of my favourites, see if you can guess who she was being when she wrote this gem It's not hard, so I know you'll get it.

I carrot about you Sarah. I hop you have a great Easter.

There was a lot more and there were rhymes too, but I think you get the gist of it.

Here's a tasty fresh summer salad inspired by my mom's poem.

And don't worry. Even if you found the poem a tad corny, the salad doesn't have any corn in it at all. :)


Carrot and Chick Pea Salad

3 large carrots, peeled and grated
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
1/3 cup fresh mint, chopped
1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup raisins
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons olive oil
Pinch of salt and pepper

1. Combine lemon juice and olive oil in a large bowl.

2. Add carrots, raisins, chick peas, cilantro, and mint to the dressing. Toss to mix.

3. Add salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!

Simple, fresh, and cool for summer.

This is a great salad to pair with a burger or grilled chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment