Wednesday 20 July 2011

Sloppy Sarahs

This is a dinner to make kids smile because everything about it, including the name, encourages you to get messy.

I'm not talking food fight messy, I would be the last person to condone wasting a tasty meal. But I am talking drip-down-to-your-elbow or needing-three-napkins messy.

Because what's life without laughing while you eat?

My mom used to make this dinner for my siblings and me when we were kids. And she's just taught it to my youngest brother this week.

Let's just say that if Jonathan can make them, anyone can. He's not quite as interested in cooking as I am.

So get your little kids ready to giggle (you might want to grab a few bibs) and get your somewhat bigger kids ready to learn, because it's time for dinner.


Easy Sloppy Joes

1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
1 can of condensed chicken gumbo soup
1/4 cup ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
6 hamburger buns

1. Brown your meat in a large frying pan and drain any fat.

2. Add the ketchup, mustard, and chicken gumbo soup. Stir to combine.

3. Continue cooking until the mixture is bubbling and looking as messy and tasty as can be.

4. Toast your hamburger buns and spoon a healthy amount of the meat mixture on top of each. Enjoy!

The toasted buns soak up the extra juice and the carrots I choose to serve with the sandwiches add the healthy component that I need at every meal.

The chicken gumbo soup is my mom's secret ingredient, but my "five star chef" brother thinks they need a little freshly chopped onion stirred in. I don't agree and make them just how mom used to.

How do you make your sloppy joes?

No comments:

Post a Comment