Tuesday 16 August 2011

A Candy Cane Treat

Well.... I do love Christmas but even I know it's a bit early to start decorating and planning, so this recipe has nothing to do with Christmas at all.

Actually, to be honest, this recipe has nothing to do with me at all! It is my very first viewer's contribution and even though it's my mom's contribution, it still makes me feel excited that someone wanted to share their recipe through my blog.

My mom had been looking for special heirloom beet seeds, the golden beet variety specifically, forever. So when I found a huge selection of seeds at the great gardening store in Victoria, I had to get some for her.

I mailed the seeds off, she planted them, and now they're ready to be enjoyed.


The best part of candy cane beets is that they're not only sweet and delicious, but they don't bleed into the other veggies you cook with them! And that makes them perfect for this dish.

Although, don't expect this kind of beautiful perfection unless you grow the veggies yourself. :)

Here's my mom's recipe for Candy Cane Beet Slaw

1 small napa cabbage, finely sliced
2 cups coarsely shredded carrot
1 large candy cane beet, finely sliced into strips (makes 2 cups), save the leaves for another use
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
2 tablespoons fresh basil, roughly torn

1. Combine mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, and sugar in a large bowl.

2. Add cabbage, carrot, candy cane beets, and basil and gently mix.

3. Allow slaw to sit in the fridge for an hour or so before eating and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment