Wednesday 14 September 2011

Orange You Glad I Didn't Say Banana?

Banana's are one of my most favourite food. No scratch that. Cheese, bread, lasagna, and potato chips are way above bananas in my opinion. Let's start again.

I love bananas in so many ways -- on cereal, in sandwiches, in desserts, in fruit salads, and just hanging out as a snack.

But in this case I think bananas would have been pretty darn gross. And I bet you'd agree.

However, oranges are another story. And that story tells a delicious tale of how Asian dishes need not be heavy and deep fried...


Orange Chicken

1 large orange, zested and juiced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon vinegar
2 teaspoons light brown sugar
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 lb chicken breast, cut into even one inch chunks
3/4 teaspoon salt
2 egg whites
1/3 cup cornstarch
3 tablespoons oil
4 green onions, sliced

1. Combine the orange juice, orange zest, soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, and red pepper flakes in small bowl.

2. In a large bowl, whip the egg whites until stiff peaks form and carefully fold in the corn starch.

3. Season the chicken with the salt and then add to the large bowl of the whipped egg whites. Cover each piece of chicken with the egg whites.

4. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the chicken. Cook on all sides until the chicken is browned well, about 3-4 minutes.

5. Add the orange juice mixture and continue to cook the chicken through.

6. Serve the chicken on rice and sprinkle with green onion. Enjoy!

I don't know if you can see, but I served the chicken with my Creamy Green Rice and it was tasty!

No comments:

Post a Comment