Sunday 16 October 2011

Bringing the 90s Back

I was born in the 80s so I don't remember a lot about the 90s, but I do know that it's usually not a good thing when people say a meal looks like it's from the 90s.

Usually, the colours, the old designs, and the food pairings of so-called 90s food just feel dull and uninteresting to us now.

Hopefully you agree with me when I say that it's a good thing when I am bringing the 90s back with my sweet and delicious Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Casserole.


Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Casserole - serves 4

1 large or 2 medium sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup mini marshmallows or 1 cup regular marshmallows cut in half

1. Poke holes in your potatoes and microwave or bake them until they are soft, about 20 - 30 minutes in the microwave or 40-60 minutes in the oven depending on the potatoes size.

2. Cut potatoes in half and scoop all the flesh into a baking dish (I used a bread pan size dish).

3. Add sugar, butter, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg and mix until combined.

4. Smooth the top of the dish and cover with marshmallows. If you are using mini marshmallows, just toss them on. But if you are using large marshmallows, make sure to place them cut side down so that the outer side of the marshmallows gets fully roasted and you don't get a mouthful with any powder.

5. Broil at 400 degrees for anywhere from 30 seconds to 3 minutes, depending on how you like your marshmallows. But watch carefully because they cook quickly as you can see from my slightly overdone batch...

And if you have any of your casserole left over, try mixing it into some pancake batter for a hardy batch of Sweet Potato Pancakes!


Just use my Rhubarb Pancake batter and stir in about 1 cup of remaining Sweet Potato and Marshmallow Casserole instead of the rhubarb.

Pour some maple syrup on top and you'll be good to go until lunch!


No comments:

Post a Comment