Tuesday 11 October 2011

Classically Trained

I was classically trained to cook, but not in the way you might be picturing...

There were no white hats in my kitchen. I didn't go to a cooking school. I have never worked in a restaurant. And I certainly haven't won any Michelin Stars.

I have big dreams, but I haven't done any of those things.

Instead, I was trained in the most classical way possible. I'm talking about how you learn real cooking, real love-filled cooking.

My mom taught me.

I'm sure you could see that coming, but I had to spell it out anyway for people not as smart as you.

So when you read the two following recipes I know you might think that they're just regular pies, but remember that a classically trained home cook made them. Plus, I won an award for one of my pies once.

That's right, I won an award. I was in the newspaper and everything!

I might have won the prize for youngest contestant, but who cares. I was around 5 years old and I took home the prize! It may have been grocery store treats, but I won and that's all I needed!




Classic Pumpkin Pie with Maple Whipped Cream 

1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
2 eggs 
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup evaporated milk
1 unbaked pie shell (store bought, your favourite recipe or half of my favourite homemade recipe)
1 cup whipping cream
1 tablespoon maple syrup

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

2. Beat eggs in a medium bowl and add pumpkin, spices, and salt.

3. Pout in milk and mix until well combined.

4. Pour into pie crust and bake for 15 minutes.

5. Lower oven temperature to 350 degrees and bake for another 35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when poked in the middle.

6. Let the pie cool as you make the maple whipped cream. It's as easy as pie, pour the maple syrup and whipping cream into a large and whip.

7. Put a dollop of the maple whipped cream on top of a slice and enjoy!


(And incase you thought like Luke and asked if that was a sting ray pastry, it's not. It's a leaf.)


Classic Apple Pie with a Crumble Top

6 - 8 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced into fans
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tablespoons lemon juice
3/4 cup oats
1/2 cup flour
1/4 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
Pinch of salt
1 unbaked pie shell (store bought, your favourite recipe or half of my favourite homemade recipe)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Toss apples with next four ingredients in a large bowl. Pour into the pie crust.

3. Combine remaining ingredients and stir until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Crumble on top of the apples.

4. Bake for about 60 minutes or until the top of the crumble is toasted and there small bubbles start to appear around the edge of the pie.

5. Let the pie cool slightly before serving.


I'm a purist with my apple pie, but you might like cold vanilla ice cream, a hunk of cheddar cheese, some of my Maple Whipped Cream, or a cold glass of milk with this treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment