Thursday 17 November 2011

Stir Crazy

Ahh, rainy season. The days of running from my home, to the car, into work, and back again. 

Will I ever get to see sunshine? Will I ever be outdoors (and dry) again? 

The answer remains no, if I continue to live in Victoria, BC. But I do love the lack of snow here, so it's a bit of a compromise. 

So, I guess I am inside and going a little stir crazy for now. But, luckily I have cooking to stir up my day. 

Here's a recipe that needs stirring. Hopefully you're crazy for it. :)

Pasta with Ham, Peas, and Ricotta

1 box of rotini (other pastas will work, but I love how rotini grabs onto the ricotta)
2 cups of cooked ham, roughly chopped
2 cups of frozen peas
1/2 cup chicken stock
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 large onion, finely chopped
2 cups of ricotta cheese
1/2 cup of basil, dwarf or finely chopped
3 tablespoons of olive oil
1 pinch of salt and pepper

1. Boil a large pot of salted water and cook pasta to your desired doneness. Drain pasta and reserve about a cup of the water. 

2. While pasta is cooking, cook onions and garlic in a large pan with olive oil. Once they are cooked through, about 6-8 minutes, add ham to warm. Stir in chicken stock and peas and cook another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. 

3. Add the reserved water and the pasta and toss to combine. 

4. Serve in bowls and top with ricotta, for stirring as you eat. 


Maybe going stir crazy isn't so bad after all?

No comments:

Post a Comment