Sunday 27 November 2011

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice

That's what little girls are made of. And also this recipe. And also Christmas!

Every year on Christmas morning my family enjoys cinnamon buns while unwrapping presents. In the past we have always bought Pillsbury cinnamon buns and just opened the packages of buns before throwing them in the oven. They always tasted great, but I wanted to learn how to make my own to make this Christmas extra special.

I looked around for recipes to use as inspiration, but all I found were complicated recipes that were going to take far too long to rise on Christmas morning.

I could have felt defeated and just bought the regular staple of Pillsbury, but I knew there had to be something out there for impatient homemade cinnamon bun eaters.

Right when I verging on giving up, I found it. I whipped up something similar with items I had in my kitchen and here's the result.




Quick as a Bun Cinnamon Buns

For the dough:

3/4 cup plain yogurt (make sure it's a thick Greek yogurt)
1/4 cup buttermilk
1/4 cup sugar
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for rolling
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda

For the filling:

2 tablespoons butter, melted
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup walnuts, chopped

For the glaze:

1 cup icing sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons milk
1 teaspoon vanilla

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees and grease a medium sized spring form pan.

2. Add yogurt, buttermilk, sugar, butter, and vanilla to a food processor. Pulse for about 10 seconds to combine. Add remaining batter ingredients and pulse for another 30 - 60 seconds, until dough is just combined.


3. Scoop the dough out onto a floured countertop and knead it lightly, adding extra flour until smooth and slightly puffy like a pillow. Then roll it out into a 12 x 15 rectangle.

4. Next, make the filling. Brush the dough with the melted butter and combine spices and sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle them onto the dough. Finally, top with the walnuts.


5. Roll the dough into a long tube and pinch the long seam closed.


6. And slice into 12 even chunks.


7. Set all the pieces cut side up into the greased pan and bake for about 20-30 minutes or until the buns turn slightly brown and firm.

Before baking:
After baking:


8. Let the buns cool in the pan for 5 minutes and make your glaze. Mix all glaze ingredients in a 2 cup glass measuring cup, adding milk until the glaze is pourable.

9. Pour glaze over buns and enjoy!


I know my Christmas morning will be a feature a great homemade cinnamon bun this year!

How about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment