Tuesday 29 November 2011

That Other Thanksgiving

My fellow Canadians know how I feel when I say that other Thanksgiving. But I am not sure if my American friends know what I mean because the Canadian media providers probably don't promote the Canadian holiday as much as the American providers promote their own.

What I'm talking about is the fact that Canadians already celebrated Thanksgiving last month! We had the family get together, we ate the turkey, and we got the tee-shirt. There aren't even any leftovers in our fridges now.

At least I hope the leftovers are gone...

So I'm not jealous, we gave thanks already. But I am curious as to why we have different dates for the holiday?

It can't be because Canada is so darn cold, can it?

Yes it can!

Thanksgiving is traditionally celebrated as a time to give thanks for the harvest and the Canadian frost comes earlier than the American frost, so naturally the Canadian harvest follows suit.

That's all there is to it.

But now that I've thought about it... I am a bit jealous... Not about the extra holiday (that would be nice), but more about the fact that Americans are probably chowing down on leftover turkey sandwiches right now....

What would you do for one?

Well, just read a little more and you won't have to do much else!


Quick and Easy Faux Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwiches for Two

2 turkey burgers (just the frozen kind will do)
2 buns
2 pieces of lettuce
2 slices of cheese
1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
1 tablespoon of cranberry relish (if you can't find a little of this in your fridge, just make some more)

1. Grill the burgers (or pan fry them as I did in this cold weather).

2. Toast the buns.

3. Smear cranberry relish and mayonnaise on the buns and top them with lettuce, cheese, and the burger.

You'll be surprised that this actually tastes like Thanksgiving. The only thing missing is the dressing... Maybe next time I'll mix up some Stove Top?

No comments:

Post a Comment