Wednesday 21 December 2011

Mele Kalikimaka

Mele Kalikimaka means Merry Christmas in Hawaiian and I know far too many people planning on vacationing in Hawaii for the holidays this year. 

Since I will be staying in rainy old Victoria this Christmas, I decided to make a quick Hawaiian style dinner to try and make me feel a little less jealous of the fun in the sun crowd I know. 

The meal certainly reminded me of I think Hawaiian food should taste like. And maybe if I'm really good for the last few days of the year, I'll get a chance to taste the real thing sometime soon!

Baked Fish with Pineapple Salsa

4 pieces of white fish (Mahi Mahi is a great Hawaiian fish, but any type will be delicious!)
1 pinch of salt and pepper
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 cup of fresh pineapple, finely diced
1 tablespoon of fresh mint, minced
1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
1 teaspoon of sesame oil
Juice from one lime

1. Preheat oven to 350. Season fish and drizzle on a little olive oil. Bake for about 25-30 minutes (depending on the size of your fillets) or until fish is opaque and flakey.

2. While fish is baking, prepare your salsa! Toss pineapple chunks with mint, sesame seeds, sesame oil, and lime juice.

3. Remove fish from the oven and serve with a quarter cup or so of pineapple salsa on each piece. Enjoy!

Who wants to take me in their suitcase? I think I've been good enough this year for that!

No comments:

Post a Comment