Sunday 25 December 2011

Treats for Santa

I know what Santa ate at my house last night, it's always the same thing. Gingerbread cookies!

My family bakes gingerbread cookies together every Christmas Eve and then throughout the day we gather in the kitchen to decorate and taste our creations. 

We use a straw and poke holes in the heads of some the cookies before they're baked, so that they can hang from the tree. And everyone has to make a gingerbread man the resembles themselves in some way. 

Keep reading to see what my family made my cookie look like this year because I'm not home this Christmas. And also keep reading to see how I make my cookies.


Gingerbread Cookies - makes about 12 large and 12 small cookies

1 1/2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons ginger
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup sugar
1 egg
1/3 cup fancy molasses

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Sift dry ingredients in one bowl and cream butter and sugar in another bowl. Add the egg and the molasses to the bowl with the butter and then gradually add in the the flour mixture mixture.

3. Chill the batter in your fridge for about 1-2 hours and then get ready to roll.


 4. Roll the dough to a quarter inch thickness and cut out shapes. If you want to hang some cookies on your tree, use a straw to punch out holes now.

5. Bake for about 8 minutes and let cool before you decorate.

Here is my cookie. My family decided it was time I learn to skate better this year :)


I had better get started on my dinner now. Check out my turkey tips if you're cooking one today.

And also here's a tip if you're still baking a few cookies and don't have enough cooling racks: before you start your turkey, use the racks from your turkey pan to cool your cookies. They work just as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment