Tuesday 21 February 2012

Grate Expectations

I love breakfast for dinner of nearly all kinds. I love waffles, pancakes, eggs, and toast. I love fruit cut into beautiful shapes s and different kinds of speciality teas. I love almost everything, except for cereal for dinner.

Cereal for dinner seems a little sad, a little too much like something a bachelor would do. And I most certainly not a sad bachelor.

So when I remembered that it was Shove Tuesday today, I jumped at the chance to indulge in one of my favourite treats.

The name Shrove Tuesday comes from medieval times and the word shove is derived from "shrived", meaning "to confess". In medieval times, Shrove Tuesday was the last chance to treat yourself before lent and since pancakes have fat, butter, and eggs (no-no's for lent), pancakes have been traditionally eaten on this day.

I do not attempt to give up anything for lent. I know how disappointed I get when I fail at something, and I know if I tried to give up a certain kind of editable treat, I was surely fail. Plus, I am still working on my one meatless meal per week New Year's resolution, so I think I am doing enough.

But, that being said, I love pancakes. So let the indulging begin!

Apple Raisin Pancakes - makes 10-12 pancakes

1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup oats
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 1/4 cups grated apple, about 1 large apple
1/2 cup raisins

1. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, oats, and cinnamon in a large bowl. Whisk to combine.

2. In another bowl, beat egg with milk and butter. Add this mixture to the dry ingredients and stir in apple and raisins until just combined.

3. Heat a little additional butter in a non stick pan and let it melt. Pour batter into the pan, about 1/4 cup per pancake and let cook. Once the batter begins to bubble on the edges, flip the pancakes with a spatula.

4. Serve with maple syrup or yogurt. And course pair with bacon, because you're indulging after all!

I know I had "grate" expectations for this dish, but what did you think? Try one of my other pancake recipes if you would rather taste rhubarb or sweet potato!

No comments:

Post a Comment