Sunday 22 April 2012

Save The Turtles

Today is Earth Day, the anniversary of the modern environmental movement, and that means it's time to do something good for the environment. You can remember to turn the lights off in your home when you leave a room, take your bike to the store instead of your car, pick up litter on the side of the road, or save the turtles. Whatever you think is a good step for you. 

I am try and celebrate being environmentally friendly as often as I can; I bike to work as often as I can, I never litter, I try and eat locally whenever possible, and instead of turning my heat up I put on a sweater first. 

One of the ways I am celebrating earth Day today is by cutting back on the amount of meat I eat by snacking on healthy chickpeas. Cows eat a lot, drink a lot, and do a lot of other things I don't think about when I'm thinking about eating. All those things affect the environment, so eating less meat and filling up on heathy chickpeas is an easy way to celebrate Earth Day.

And if you think I am going to share another hummus recipe, you're wrong. Today's recipe is Crispy Spiced Chickpeas.

Crispy Spiced Chickpeas

1 can of chick peas, drained and rinsed (540 ml can)
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ginger

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Spread chickpeas out in an even layer on a cookie sheet and toss with olive oil.

3. Bake on the middle rack for about 40 minutes, shaking the cookie sheet a few times while the chick peas cook so that they cook evenly.

4. Combine spices in a bowl and when chickpeas are crispy and finished cooking, add them to the bowl and shake until they are fully covered in the spices.

5. Serve with drinks instead of nuts and enjoy!

And if you stay home and have drinks and snacks, you won't feel like driving somewhere to get dinner. It's a double win for Earth Day!

This is Brutus, don't you want him to stay safe in the ocean? He's already lost part of a flipper in a shark attack and he's still got a long life ahead of him. He's only 45!


If Brutus doesn't make you want to celebrate Earth Day, I don't know what will. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment