Friday 11 May 2012

Fridge Clean Out!

So the end of the week rolls around and it's time to figure out what's left in my fridge for dinner. 

Usually I remember to take something out of the freezer, but I completely forgot about that last night, so I was a little stuck. 

I opened the door to my fridge and saw there weren't a lot of choices to be had, but I knew I could figure something out. I saw a little cream, some fish stock, snow peas, eggplant, and I always have a jar of curry paste. Plus, I did have some frozen fish in the freezer. 

All of that would work in a curry and best of all, the fish could defrost as it cooked, so I didn't even need to wait until later to start cooking. 

Surprisingly, this curry is one of the best I think I have made. And I made it by cleaning out my fridge!

Creamy Fish Curry - serves four

4 fillets of white fish, cut into bite sized pieces. (Frozen is fine but you'll need a strong arm and a good knife to cut it!)
1 cup of chopped eggplant, I used sliced Thai eggplant but the regular purple eggplant would be great too
1 1/2 cups of snow peas, cut in half
1 medium onion, finely cut
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon of olive oil
2 tablespoons curry paste, I used a red curry paste and the cream turned it a lovely yellow colour
2 cups of fish stock, chicken or veggie stock would be great too
1/2 cup cream
Salt and pepper to taste
2 cups cooked brown rice to serve with the curry

1. Saute the onion and garlic in the olive oil at medium heat until it's soft, about five minutes.

2. Add the egg plant and saute another two minutes.

3. Stir in the curry paste and then add the fish stock, the fish pieces, and the cream. Cook until the fish is soft and cooked through, about 5 - 10 minutes for frozen fish.

4. Stir the snow peas in to warm and season with salt and pepper to your taste.

5. Serve with brown rice and enjoy!

Note: I wanted my curry a little thicker than usual, so I cheated and added 1/2 tablespoon of corn starch mixed into 1/4 cup of water and cooked the curry another two minutes.

I loved how thick and extra creamy it got, but it did feel like cheating!

No comments:

Post a Comment