Monday 21 May 2012

Gobbler Up This Cobbler

I love researching how different things got their name, but it's even more fun for me to come up a great reason why all by myself. 

I don't love tattoos, but I will always remember the reason why I think that tattoos were named tattoos. I came up with my reason when I was at a drum show in Halifax called Tattoo. The beat of drum sticks repeatedly hitting the drums made a tattoo sound, much the same as the beat of raindrops on a window. This is the same sound or action as when a tattoo is created on a person- thus the name tattoo was given. 

I don't know if that's true or not, I've never bothered to look it up. But I do think that it should be the reason!

Now Luke and I came up why we think a fruit cobbler was named a fruit cobbler. And I'm so pleased with our reason why, I know I will never look up the real reason. Looking at the top of a beautiful cobbler you see parcels of dough that resemble walking stones on a street, or you could call them cobble stones! 

But these cobble stones are much more delicious than their namesake. They're soft and sweet and cover an amazing array of roasted fruit. I know you'll want to try this one!


Apple-Berry-Rhubarb Cobbler - serves 9

8 cups chopped fruit, I used 3 cups each of fresh rhubarb and apple and 2 cups of frozen raspberries
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup flour
1 tablespoon orange juice
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1 /4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup butter or margarine
2/3 cup buttermilk (or regular milk with a touch of lemon juice added instead)
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
1 tablespoon melted butter or margarine

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

2. In a 8 or 9 inch square baking dish, combine all fruit, 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup flour, and orange juice. Smooth it out into an even layer and set aside. 

3. In a medium bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, 2 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut in the 1/4 cup butter until the dough looks like bread crumbs then add in the buttermilk. 

4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured counter and cut into 9 even cobblestones. Press each cobblestone onto of the fruit mixture in the baking dish. 

5. In a small bowl, combine the orange zest, melted butter, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Divide between each of the cobblestones and brush the mixture on top of them. 

6. Bake cobbler until the cobblestones turn golden, about 50-60 minutes. 

7. Serve or dessert or if you're feeling lucky, breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment