Sunday 10 June 2012

The New BLT

Bacon should be it's own food group and really a serving of it should be eaten everyday. Maybe not according to doctors or nutritionists, but according to taste buds it should be!

At least my taste buds think crispy bacon should be eaten everyday. Who else do you that loves bacon and jam sandwiches more than anything else?

But sometimes when I cook with crispy bacon I am disappointed because the crispiness of the food group disappears and all that I am left with is a small piece of soggy pork. It's still a yummy piece of soggy pork, but the best of the bacon is gone. 

If you're like me and crave crispy bacon in your dishes, worry no more because I had a moment of brilliance and came up with an easy way to make sure that my bacon will stay crispy in a quiche. 

Keep reading my recipe for BLT Quiche and you'll be eating crispy bacon filled quiche from now on. 

BLT Quiche

1 pie crust, purchased or homemade
8 slices of bacon, cooked until almost crispy
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup of milk
2 medium tomatoes, chopped and well blotted to absorb any wetness
1 1/2 cups of baby spinach, chopped
1 cup of mozzarella cheese, grated
2 tablespoons of oregano
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Lay your tomatoes along the bottom of the pie crust, but be sure they are well blotted so that they don't moisten the pastry when it cooks.

3. Top tomatoes with oregano, cheese, and spinach.

4. Combine eggs, milk, and salt and pepper in a bowl and mix well. Pour over top of veggies and cheese.

5. Break up bacon into 3/4 inch pieces and sprinkle over top of the quiche. I try to get an even layer so your quiche looks like a bacon-lattice covered pie, but bacon is delicious anyway it lays.

6. Bake for 60 minutes or until egg is cooked through.

Usually I put my tomatoes on top of my quiches so they don't moisten the crust, but this time the need for crispy pastry was greater than the need for a crispy bottom crust. And I didn't have to worry because the bottom crust was fine thanks to blotting the tomatoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment