Sunday 30 September 2012

Inspired by Jen

You might remember a few weeks ago when I posted a picture with a huge bowl of tomatoes and asked you to guess how many was in it. If you don't, I promised the winner would get a tomato recipe named after them and now it's time to unveil the winner's yummy recipe. 

Jen Campbell guessed 300 tomatoes and was only 4 tomatoes off from the total of 304 tomatoes in the bowl! So today I am sharing a recipe inspired by Jen. 

At first I thought I could take the cheesy route and make a tomato soup, naming it something like "The New Campbell's Tomato Soup", but I decided that wasn't a great idea. I like cheesy, but that would be taking it too far. 

Instead I decided on creating a Roasted Tomato and Garlic Hummus recipe because I know Jen loves hummus. Ready for the recipe? Read on for it!

Roasted Tomato and Garlic Hummus - serves 4-6

1 head of garlic
2 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil + extra for drizzling in the hummus
3 large tomatoes
2 cups of cooked chick peas, or one can of chick peas
Lemon juice, salt, and pepper to taste

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

2. Slice the top of the head of garlic, place on small pieces of tin foil, and pour a 1/2 tablespoon of olive oil in the centre of the garlic. If a little spills over, that's ok. Wrap up the head of garlic and place on a cookie sheet.


3. Chop the tomatoes into 1-2 inch pieces, place on the cookie sheet with the garlic, and drizzle with 2 tablespoons. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and bake for about 45 minutes or until garlic is soft and tomatoes are roasted. 

4. Let the garlic cool until you can touch it and peel each clove. 

5. Combine the garlic, tomatoes, and chick peas in a food processor. Pulse until combined. Drizzle in a few tablespoons of lemon juice and a few tablespoons of olive oil and pulse until combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper and continue adding lemon juice and olive oil until the taste and texture is perfect for you. 

6. Serve with tomatoes, other veggies, chips, or whatever you like. Enjoy!

I hope you liked it Jen! And thanks to everyone that played. I'll figure out another game to play for October!

No comments:

Post a Comment