Tuesday 23 October 2012

Fall Flavours

I just got Anna Olson's new cookbook, Best of Baking, and I am loving going through it. There are so many great recipes and tips in it and I'm learning a lot about baking. 

Even though Anna is a much better baker than I am, I still think that I have some great ideas that she didn't think of. One of them was to top her Pumpkin Muffins with Pumpkin Seeds before baking them. It adds a pretty decoration and a lovely texture to the muffins that otherwise wouldn't have been there. 

I made a couple of other small changes to Anna's recipe, just to use what I had on hand, but adding the pumpkin seeds was the definitely the best change I made! I don't know if Anna would like my addition to her muffins, but I sure think she would. Do you? 

Pumpkin Muffins - makes 12

1 2/3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each of nutmeg, cinnamon, and ground ginger
1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
2/3 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup milk
1 egg, beaten
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
1/2 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a muffin tray with paper liners.

2. Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices in a large bowl.

3. In another bowl, combine all remaining ingredients (except for pepitas).

4. Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and stir to combine. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and top each with pepitas.

5. Bake for 20-25 minutes and enjoy!

One of my favourite things about adding the pepitas to these muffins was that they got that yummy toasted nut flavour from baking along with the muffins. You don't need to pre-toast them at all!

No comments:

Post a Comment