Friday 5 October 2012

It's Turkey Time!

Turkey and I are great friends, especially at Thanksgiving. They're relatively easy to make, they're a great bang for your buck when you count all the leftover dinners you can make, and they taste great. 

The only thing about turkeys I don't especially like is that eating them can be a bit on the boring side... You roast the bird, you serve it with cranberries, and that's that. 

Today's post shows a great sauce that will transform your turkey into something new, fresh, and fantastic. I know you'll look at the recipe with questioning eyes at first, but after a quick taste I think you'll really enjoy it.

Read on for a 2012 version of Thanksgiving turkey!

Turkey with Maple-Pesto Sauce - serves a ton people of provides you with a ton of leftovers!

1 turkey, prepared however you like or prepared with some of my suggestions from 2011!
1/4 cup maple syrup, I used real syrup so I don't know if table syrup would work
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1/2 cup basil pesto

1. Combine maple syrup, mustard, and pesto in a medium sized bowl. Stir well to combine. 

2. When turkey is almost finished cooking, about 15 minutes from being done, spread 1/2 of the sauce on top of the skin and place back in the oven to let the sauce form a sweet and savoury coating. 

3. After turkey has rested and been carved, serve the remaining sauce on the side for spooning on top as you would use cranberry sauce. 


I think the reason this sauce works so well is because the maple syrup provides a sweetness, the pesto provides a savouriness, and the Dijon mustard provides a tang so all your taste buds get excited. 

Plus, the no-cook-little-effort bit factor into the win for me too!

No comments:

Post a Comment