Thursday 25 October 2012

Mini Pie in the Sky

I'll be the first to admit that recently I may be using pumpkin seeds a little too often in my pumpkin desserts, but they are just so perfect that I can't help it!

Pumpkin seeds add crunch, decoration, and flavour to desserts. Plus, everyone knows as soon as they see them that the dessert hidden beneath the pumpkin seeds has to be pumpkin. 

Today's post is an easy to make pumpkin cookie decorated with (not so surprisingly) pumpkin seeds. I think they taste just like a pumpkin pie and now, since there's much less work, I'll get to enjoy one of my favourite flavours much more often!

Pumpkin Pie Cookies - makes 24

1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon each of baking powder, baking soda and salt
3/4 teaspoon each of cinnamon and ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1 egg
3/4 cup pumpkin puree
1/3 cup milk
Icing (I used a cream cheese icing)
Pumpkin seeds (for garnish)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and spices.

3. In a separate bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add the egg and beat to combine. Add the pumpkin and milk, stir together. And finally stir in the flour mixture.

4. Spoon dough onto cookie sheets and bake for about 12-15 minutes, depending on the size of your cookies. Cookies are done when they spring back when lightly touched.

5. Let cookies cool on a wire rack and then ice and sprinkle with pumpkin seeds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment