Thursday 4 October 2012

Well Rounded Side

Literally cous cous means "well rolled", "rounded", or "well formed". And I think the name speaks the truth because cous cous is one of the easiest and quickest side dishes to make and it tastes delicious when tossed with a variety of things.

Today's post is a side dish to go with my earlier post on Moroccan Turkey Burgers; a meal perfect for one or two to enjoy on Thanksgiving. No fuss, no mess, and great taste. 

I have to say that I know Luke wouldn't agree with me when I say that this meal is a perfect for a small group though. I am usually in charge of grocery shopping at our house, but when I was visiting my parents, Luke thought ahead and filled up the fridge with food. I was so pleased that he did that and then I saw a 21 pound turkey nestled between a bag of carrots and a carton of eggs... Just a few weeks before Thanksgiving... 

It turned out ok though. I got a practice run of new Thanksgiving dishes done. And Luke did the dishes! 

More on my practice run of Thanksgiving soon. Today I'm sharing my recipe for Artichoke, Cranberry, and Mint Cous Cous - a truly perfect side dish for a Thanksgiving meal for one or two!

Artichoke, Cranberry, and Mint Cous Cous - serves 4

1 cup cous cous
1 1/4 cups water or chicken stock
1/2 bunch of green onions, finely chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
2 tablespoons fresh mint, finely chopped
1 can of artichokes, rinsed and diced
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon sesame oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Bring 1 1/4 cups of water or chicken stock to boil in a medium sized pot and add the cous cous. Remove the pot from the heat and allow the cous cous to absorb the water, about 5 minutes.

**Note, you will want to salt the water if you're using water.

2. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, add the green onions, cranberries, artichokes, and mint. Toss to combine.

3. When the cous cous as finished absorbing all the liquid, it should be fluffy and light. Fluff it with a fork and add to the veggie mixture. Toss to combine.

4. Drizzle on the lemon juice and oils, toss to combine, and season to taste with salt and pepper.

5. Serve with Moroccan Turkey Burgers or anything else you like. I love eating this salad leftover for lunch the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment