Thursday 15 November 2012

Homemade Heluva Good

I love a good dip to dunk veggies and chips into, but I don't love having to buy a full fat dip at the grocery store. I know that it tastes good, but I don't know what's in it and if it's bad for me. 

So what I've done is to make my version of a low fat Caramelized Onion Dip. It's got real veggies in it, not powdered soup, and it's full of healthy Greek yogurt instead of sour cream. It's proven to be a winner in my house, I hope it will be a winner in yours too. 

Caramelized Onion Dip - serves 4 - 6

2 tablespoons oil
2 large onions, chopped
1 teaspoon brown sugar
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup cream cheese
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 pinch salt and pepper

1. Heat oil in a large pan at medium heat and cook onions until they begin to caramelize, about 10 minutes.

2. Stir in sugar, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper and reduce heat to low. Continue to cook another 10 minutes.

3. In a bowl, combine all remaining ingredients and then add the onions. Puree with an immersion blender or add mixture to a blender and blend.

4. Chill until ready to serve. Serve with chips or veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment