Tuesday 13 November 2012

Sliced and Diced

I don't usually sliced up a meal into bite sized pieces before I serve it to friends or family, but sometimes I think sliced food looks beautiful. Today's post is one of those rare occasions. 

I think this chicken looks great sliced into thin pieces and served with a salad on the side, but presentation is not all I slice this chicken for. I also slice it for practicality. The chicken inside the breading can absorb some of the salad dressing so that the breading doesn't go super soggy before I can get the plate to the table. 

And I'll give you a tip that I realized after I made my meal, if you want your plate to look even more picturesque and you're using frozen chicken (I did), make sure your chicken is fully defrosted before you bread it (I didn't). If you don't let your chicken fully defrost, while the chicken cooks, extra liquid will cook out, making the breading not stick as well. 


Crispy Chicken - serves 4 
This dish is almost exactly like a crispy fish dish I shared last year, the big difference is that this time I used chicken!

4 chicken breasts, fresh or fully defrosted
1/4 cup flour
2 teaspoons paprika
1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper
2 eggs
1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil

1. Mix together flour, paprika, salt, and pepper in a shallow dish. Coat chicken evenly in the mixture on both sides.

2. Beat your eggs in a shallow dish and evenly dip flour coated chicken into the eggs on both sides.

3. Pour bread crumbs into the dish the flour was in. It doesn't matter if there is still flour in it, that will just provide extra flavour. Coat chicken evenly in bread crumbs.

4. Heat olive oil in a pan on your stove at medium low heat and once olive oil is warm, place chicken gently in the pan.

5. The chicken will take about 5 - 7 minutes to brown on the first side. After the chicken has browned, flip each piece and let brown on the other side and cook through, about another 5 - 7 minutes. If you're using large chicken breasts, or feel unsure of the doneness of the chicken, pop each piece of chicken into your oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Everything is sure to be done then!

6. Slice and serve with Miso Dressed Tomato and Feta Salad

Miso Dressed Tomato and Feta Salad - serves 4 

3 plum tomatoes, diced
1/2 cup crumbled or diced feta cheese
3 tablespoons parsley, chopped
1/2 - 1 tablespoon miso paste, depending on how much you like miso's flavour
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste 

1. Combine oil, lemon juice, water, and miso in a small bowl. Mix well to combine. Season with salt and pepper. 

2. In a medium bowl, combine tomatoes, feta, and parsley. Pour miso dressing on top of veggies and cheese and toss to combine. 

3. Serve with Crispy Chicken and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment