I don't have anything specific to celebrate right now, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't celebrate. I think that celebrating is something that should be done on regular basis. Maybe I'm only celebrating a beautiful day or the fact that I finally got caught up on laundry, but I'm celebrating all the same.
This lasagna was inspired by a recipe I found on Chatelaine's website and they called it Celebration Lasagna. I wasn't sure why it was named that until I took my first bite.
Celebration Lasagna - serves 8-10
1 package of no cook lasagna noodles
1 package of Italian sausage, about five sausages (I used chicken)
1 500ml jar of tomato sauce
2 packages of mushrooms, about 4 cups when sliced
1 package of frozen chopped spinach
1 onion, chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
2 1/2 cups milk
1 teaspoon nutmeg
2 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
Salt and pepper
1. Remove sausage casings and brown in a frying pan until filling cooked and crumbled. Add tomato sauce and let warm.
2. In a medium pot, sauté onion in olive oil until soft, add mushrooms and continue to cook until browned.
3. Cook spinach in the microwave until soft and warm. Add to the mushrooms and stir to combine.
4. In another pot, melt the butter and then stir in the flour. Gradually add the milk, stirring to combine. Bring sauce to a boil to thicken and season with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and layer your lasagna. In the bottom of a lasagna pan, spoon a little of the tomato sauce, just enough to cover the pan. Next, place an even lay of noodles, do not overlap noodles. Top with half of the sausage and sauce, followed by more noodles. Top with the spinach and mushroom mixture, followed by a little cheese and more noodles. Top with the remaining sausage and sauce, followed by more noodles. Finally top with the white sauce and the remaining cheese.
6. Cover with foil and bake for about and hour. Remove foil and broil for a minute to let the cheese brown.
7. Let the lasagna rest after coming out of the oven for about 10-15 minutes and slice and serve.
I know you'll love this dinner. The only question is how much!