Saturday 12 January 2013

Sweet on Veggies

Lately I've seen quite a few pizza recipes that include squash and at first I really wasn't sure it would be that great an idea. I mean its a carb on a carb, right? But then I thought about it again. It's a carb on a carb!  And there's cheese! I love those things! 

So I came up with my own version of a Butternut Squash and Arugula Pizza that's as pretty as it is delicious. It even doubles as a light dinner or a perfect veggie appetizer. Really it can't be beat. 

Butternut Squash and Arugula Pizza - serves 4 for dinner or more for appys

1 ball of pizza dough or a half recipe of my favourite pizza dough
1 onion, sliced
1 butternut squash, neck sliced into thin rounds and ball reserved for another use
2 tablespoons olive oil plus a little more for greasing the cookie sheet
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
2 cups arugula
3 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
Salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss onion with half of olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on a piece of foil and crunch into a packet. Toss squash rounds with the other half of the olive oil, half of the maple syrup, and season with salt and pepper. Place on another piece of foil and crunch into another packet.

2. Bake onion and squash until soft, about 30-40 minutes.

3. Grease a cookie sheet with a little more oil and roll out dough to fit. Top with onion and squash, followed by cheese. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the bottom of the dough is crisp.

4. Finally toss arugula with vinegar and remaining maple syrup. Top hot pizza with arugula. Choose to slice and serve now or place in the oven for about 2 minutes to let arugula wilt. Enjoy!

Now the only question is to enjoy for dinner or as an appetizer...

2 comments:

  1. I shared this recipe with Foodie Friends Friday's linky party at http://www.foodiefriendsfriday.com/2013/01/foodie-friends-friday-january-17th.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious. I know my vegetarian son would love it. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday. Please come back today and vote for your favorites.

    ReplyDelete