Friday 8 February 2013

It's All Gravy

I don't make gravy very often, but when I do, it's gone in a flash. I guess you could say that I'm a bit of a gravy snob because I don't like canned gravy. I don't even want know what's in it. 

My gravy is made with just turkey stock, corn starch, and water. I know that doesn't sound very special, but it's the stock that's the key. Every time I make a turkey, I save the juices from the baking dish I cook my turkey in for the next time I make gravy. 

I pour the hot stock in a container, I let it cool in the fridge and scrape the fat off the top, then I label it as "gravy stock" and put it in the freezer for the next special occasion I have when I'll make gravy. All that work makes my gravy special and all that work makes it taste amazing. 

Then all I do is heat the rich stock up, mix a tablespoon or so of corn starch in 1/4 cup of water, stir it into my stock, and let it boil. Voila, gravy. 

I know that I'll want to make Valentine's Day special and what better way to do it than by making Yorkshire Puddings with gravy? I don't know what I'll be serving with them, but I know the meal will be special. 

And don't worry, there's still time to make a turkey so you can make Yorkshire Puddings and gravy for Valentine's Day too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment