Friday 22 February 2013

Room for 'Shrooms

I've heard people say that mushrooms are the steak of vegetables before but I've never believed them until I made this dish. These Portobellos are stuffed full of cheesy, vegetable goodness and I have to say that I did not yearn for meat at all while I was enjoying them. But, if you're not interested in joining the bandwagon of veggie loving people, I also think they'd be a great side for a steak. 

I know that I will be making these 'shrooms again soon, I hope you give them a try too. 

Stuffed 'Shrooms - makes 4 

4 Portobello mushrooms 
1 tablespoon butter
1 poblano pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 cup oatmeal
1/4 parsley, chopped
1 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
Salt and pepper, to taste
Greek yogurt, for garnish 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Remove stems from mushrooms and scrape gills clean. Chop mushrooms stems and discard the gills. 

2. In a large pan, melt the butter and cook the pepper, mushroom stems, and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes and oatmeal and cook about 2-3 more minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

3. Sprinkle two tablespoons of cheese on each mushroom, divide the oatmeal mixture on top, and then finish with another two tablespoons of cheese and spray with a little olive oil. 

4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Garnish with Greek yogurt and enjoy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment