Sunday 24 February 2013

Silver Linings

It's the Oscars tonight and I am not the biggest fan of award shows, but I do love the Oscars. I love watching the pre-show to see the amazing dresses (and the not so amazing dressing, if I'm being honest). I love seeing the stars as normal people and watching their joy as they win. And I love making appetizers for my Oscars party. 

I love appy parties and I love themed parties, so when it's Oscar time I rack my brain to get the creative juices flowing. I love to make appetizers inspired by a few of the honoured movies and today's post is one of my choices for 2013. 

Silver Linings Playbook is set in Philly, the land of cheese steaks. Philly Cheese Steaks are not the best food for a party so I made mine mini and they turned out great. Read on for the recipe!

Mini Philly Cheese Steaks - makes 16

2 packages of 8 Pillsbury crescent rolls, baked as directed 
2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup milk
1 cup grated Provolone cheese, mozzarella or white cheddar would also work
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg, salt, and pepper
2 cups spinach
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 tablespoon oil
Roast beef, thinly sliced from the deli

1. Start by making the cheese sauce. Melt butter in a small pot on the stove. Add flour and stir. Gradually add milk, bring to boil to allow sauce to thicken, stir in 2/3 cup cheese, and season to taste with nutmeg, salt, and pepper.

2. Heat oil in a small frying pan. Sauté mushrooms and spinach until cooked to desired consistency.

3. Layer up the mini sandwiches. Slice all the crescent rolls and top each with roast beef, spinach, mushrooms, cheese sauce, and the remaining grated cheese. Fold close and enjoy with the Oscars.

So do you think the Silver Linings Playbook will win anything tonight? Or will it be a silver lining that we get to snack on my Mini Philly Cheese Steaks? 

No comments:

Post a Comment