Sunday 14 April 2013

Cottage Bound

I love heading up to the cottage, but whenever I go it seems to rain for at least one afternoon or evening. And rain means we miss out on a campfire with s'mores - one of my favourite things about cottaging.

So, this year I have been planning alternative treats for days when true campfire s'mores aren't possible and I think that I've come up with a real winner. My dessert involves cookies, marshmallows, and it's certainly gooey, so I know it will invoke all the feelings of s'mores. Plus it's fun, so hopefully everyone will smile in spite of the bad weather!

Read on for my fun Dessert Poutine recipe. It tastes as good as it looks!

Dessert Poutine - serves 4 - 8

1 package (510g) of Pillsbury Refridgerated Sugar Cookies
1 tablespoon white sugar
10 soft caramels
3 tablespoons heavy cream
1 cup of mini marshmallows

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and get ready to make your "French fries".

2. Roll out Pillsbury Refridgerated Sugar Cookie dough to a 1/2 - 1/4 inch thickness and cut into 3-4 inch long strips that resemble French fries. 

3. Place cookies on a cookie sheet and sprinkle them with a little sugar. The sugar on the cookies will look like salt on a French fry. 

4. Bake cookies 7-11 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire rack. 

5. While cookies are baking, make your "gravy". Add cream and caramels to a small pot on the stove at medium heat. Stir to combine the melting caramels with the cream. When your sauce is an even consistency, remove from the heat. 

6. Pile up your "Poutines". Place a few cookies on each plate, drizzle with caramel sauce, and drop on "cheese curd" marshmallows. 

Instead of making your own caramel sauce, you could also use purchased sauce. But I'd recommend warming it up because the warm sauce really almost tricks you into thinking you're eating Poutine! 

And if you're heading to the cottage for a fair weathered weekend, be sure to check out Life Made Delicious's Top 10 Fireside Favourites, I think it all looks so yummy! 

Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own. 

2 comments:

  1. We love your pictures and recipes, they are mouth watering. Would love for you to share them with us at foodieportal.com. We are new but at foodieportal.com we are not photography snobs, we are just foodies.

    ReplyDelete