Thursday 18 April 2013

Faux Pho

Pho is a Vietnamese dish where I just don't see the appeal. I like everything that goes into it on its own, but I just don't like slurping up long dripping noodles from a bowl of broth. 

Since I do like to eat Wonton Noodle Soup I feel like a bit of a hypocrite, but there's a difference between the two soups. Pho has really long rice noodles and they're super slippery. Wonton Noodle Soup has a different kind of noodle that's much easier and less messy to eat. 

Alright, that's a big stretch. They're pretty much the same. But since my honey loves them, I keep giving them a try. 

Here's my first successful version of a Pho. Mine's a Faux Pho as it has fish instead of beef and I have to admit that I like it. Somehow it feels less uncomfortable to eat a drippy soup in the comfort of my own home! 

Faux Pho - serves 4

1 tablespoon oil
1 onion, thinly sliced
1 package of mushrooms, sliced
2 teaspoons five spice powder
2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
4 cups chicken or veggie stock 
1 carrot, julienned 
2 teaspoons lime juice 
2 fillets of fish cut into bite sized pieces, I used a white fish 
1 package of rice noodles, cooked separate from the soup according to directions on package
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil, bean sprouts, green onion, mint, limes, and / or cilantro for garnish 

1. Start by cooking the oil, onions, and mushrooms in a large soup pot. Cook until onions soften, about 3-4 minutes. 

2. Stir in the ginger, five spice powder, and a pinch of salt. Cook another few minutes. 

3. Add the stock and fish and simmer for a few more minutes. 

4. Add the lime juice and carrots and cook until fish is opaque and carrots are soft, another 2-3 minutes. 

5. Spoon some rice noodles into the bottom of each bowl, ladle soup on next. Serve with small plates of whatever garnishes you desire, think about putting on a bib, and enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment