Monday 22 April 2013

Save Room for Salad

I love salad, but I usually think of salads as a side dish. And I don't usually get too excited about side dishes. You know what I mean right? A side dish is just something that sits on the side of your plate, beside the main part of the meal. 

Well last night I made this salad and that's all I ate. It might be true that I was hungry and hasn't eaten a lot of veggies yesterday, but I think this salad was also just plain delicious. And the dressing is like what my Nana always made for a potato salad; any memory of her always makes me smile. 

Creamy Broccoli Salad - serves 4 - 6

1 large head of broccoli, chopped into fine florets and slices
1/3 cup of dried cranberries
1/3 cup of feta, crumbled
1/2 one red onion, finely chopped (use less if you don't like the taste of raw onion or replace with radishes)
1/3 cup of sliced almonds
1/4 cup mayonnaise
3 tablespoons milk
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Combine mayonnaise, milk, sugar, lemon juice, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Mix well.

2. Add all remaining ingredients, except for feta, and toss until broccoli is well coated in the dressing.

3. Add feta and gently toss. Serve and enjoy!

I like to add the feta at the end so that you still get big salty chunks of it. And I have to admit that I don't always measure it out exactly, sometimes I guess and add a little more than I let on in the above recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment