Sunday 28 July 2013

Flavour Bombs

I have a favourite recipe for banana muffins so I am always unsure about trying something new. So even though when I heard that Janet and Greta Podleski's Bananaberry Bombs were too good to pass up, I almost passed them up. 

After just one bite, I was happy I tried out the recipe. They're now my favourite banana muffin recipe and these flavour bombs really shouldn't be missed! 

If you don't like bananas, or don't have any super ripe ones, I would suggest trying these muffins with apple sauce in the banana's place. I often substitute mashed banana and apple sauce and have always gotten great results. 

Read on for my version of Bananaberry Bombs (AKA Applebarb Bombs) or visit the Looneyspoon's website for their original delicious version. 

Bananaberry Bombs or Applebarb Bombs - makes 12

1 1/4 cups oatmeal 
1/2 each of all purpose and whole wheat flour 
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 1/2 cups masked ripe banana or apple sauce 
1/4 cup melted butter
1 egg, beaten 
1 cup of blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, or chopped rhubarb 

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

2. Combine oatmeal, flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in a large bowl. 

3. In another bowl, combine banana or apple sauce, butter, and egg. 

4. Pour egg mixture into flour mixture and stir until just combined. Add berries or rhubarb and gently mix in. 

5. Divide batter into 12 sections of a muffin tin and bake for about 20 minutes or until browned and puffed. 

We're having Applebarb Bombs for breakfast this morning and I think I might like them more than the original. But I might try Bananabarb Bombs next weekend, just to be sure. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment