Wednesday 3 July 2013

Pimm's Cup on a Plate

Today is my dad's birthday and as George and my mom introduced me to a Pimm's Cup, it's only fitting that my dessert for George be based on Pimm's Cup. 

If you've had a Pimm's Cup before, you'll know that Pimm's No. 1 Cup is a gin based drink with a lemony or gingery carbonated beverage as well as fresh fruit, cucumbers, and herbs. But before I scare you off, you won't find any cucumber in this dessert - just cake, peaches, and fresh herbs! 

I know you'll love this dessert. I think it's so delicious and creative that I'm submitting it as part of my MasterChef Canada audition! 

So happy birthday George, here's what I'd make for you today. Lots of love sent all the way from Victoria, BC! I wish I was there. 

Pimm's Cup Peach Upside-Down Cake - serves 4

2 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons brown sugar 
2 medium ripe peaches, peeled and thinly sliced into wedges 
1/2 cup flour 
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 tablespoon each of fresh mint and basil, finely chopped or torn for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare ramekins. Divide 1 tablespoon of butter between four 4 or 6-oz ramekins, rubbing butter on sides and bottom evenly. Divide brown sugar between the ramekins next, covering the bottom of each ramekin. Finally neatly arrange peach slices on the bottom of each ramekin, covering the entire bottom of each. 

2. Combine the flour, baking power, baking soda, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine the sugar, milk, and almond extract in another bowl. Melt the remaining tablespoon of butter and add it to the milk mixture. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir to combine. 

3. Evenly divide the batter between the four ramekins, smoothing the tops of each cake. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out of the cakes clean. 

4. When cool enough to handle, after about 5 minutes of cooling, run a butter knife along the edges of each ramekin and empty cakes onto plates. Top with mint and basil and enjoy! 


2 comments:

  1. Shared at Foodie Friends Friday Linky party http://thechefnextdoorblog.blogspot.ca/2013/10/foodie-friends-fridaycupcake-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds wonderful. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and I hope that you will join us tonight on our Halloween Party.

    ReplyDelete