Friday 26 July 2013

President Obama's Favourite Salmon

This recipe is adapted from Art Smith's Healthy Comfort and as Art and the President are neighbours in Chicago, he should know what President Obama's favourite salmon dish is. 

I don't know why I thought I should make this dish my own, but I did. I decided that despite the original version being President Obama's favourite, I wanted my version to have a little more honey, a little more ginger, and a lot more sesame seeds. I am sure the original version tastes great, but I wonder what President Obama would say if he tried my sauce?  

Sesame Glazed Salmon - serves 4

4 fillets of salmon, defrosted if frozen 
1 tablespoon each of brown sugar and honey
2 teaspoons butter
1 tablespoon each of olive oil, soy sauce, and Dijon mustard
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh ginger, grated 
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
Salt and pepper to taste 

1. Preheat your oven and then make your sauce. Combine the sugar, honey, and butter in a small sauce pan. Heat on medium heat until melted. Remove from heat and stir in oil, soy, mustard, ginger, and half of the sesame seeds. 

2. Lay salmon fillets on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Season with salt and pepper. Divide sauce among fillets and sprinkle remaining sesame seeds on top. 

3. Bake for about 20 minutes or until salmon flakes easily with a fork. Enjoy! 

I served my dish with sides of sautéed kale and a cauliflower mash. Simple and delicious! 


No comments:

Post a Comment