Monday 26 August 2013

Homemade Creamless Corn

I have been known to buy creamed corn from a can from time to time. I love the flavour of creamed corn, but I really hate looking at the gluggy goo slopping from the can. It's just not appetizing. 

So when I had an abundance of corn on the corn in my fridge, I thought of trying my hand at making a homemade creamed corn - hold the cream. I love cream, but I thought I could make a delicious creamed corn without the extra calories so I could still enjoy dessert! 

The dish I came up with was great! The only problem was that the pan was emptied too soon. But I can remedy that too; next time I'll just have to make a double recipe! 

Creamless Corn with Mushrooms - serves 4

4 cobs of corn
1 454 g package of mushrooms, sliced
1 onion, sliced
1 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
1/4 cup milk
1/4 cup fresh basil, torn
Salt and pepper to taste

1. Put all corn on to steam and sauté onions and mushrooms in a large sauce pan with one tablespoon of butter.

2. When corn of cooked and cool enough to touch, cut all kernels off the cob and toss them in with the mushrooms and onions. Add remaining butter, melt it melt, and stir everything together.

3. Sprinkle flour on top of veggies and stir together. Gradually add milk and toss mixture to let the sauce thicken.

4. Add basil and season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

Next time I make this dish, I'm going to grill the corn so I can use less butter and also get a really smokey flavour!




No comments:

Post a Comment