Sunday 13 October 2013

One Dish Veggie Thanksgiving

Since this Thanksgiving I won't be serving a turkey, I've been experimenting with lots of veggie friendly options for the big day. I have looked at tofurkey and quite honestly, I'm not impressed. They look a little grey and unappetizing. Instead I'm going the veggie side dish route and lots of them! 

Side dishes have always been my favourite Thanksgiving food anyway, so why not just enjoy lots of yummy sides? I'll make sure that there's some protein in there, but it won't be the star on the plate. It might be a mix of beans in a yummy filling served in a squash instead. 

Here's one of my first 2013 Thanksgiving experiments. This dish is almost exactly out of a recipe from last month's Canadian Living magazine. I just swapped their rapini for broccoli because I love broccoli and changed the dressing a little too. I think it turned out great!  



Wild Rice and Veggie Salad - serves 4-6

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1 tablespoon oil
Salt and pepper
3/4 cup each of wild and brown rice
1 bunch of broccoli, chopped into florets
1 cup of pecans, toasted
1/2 cup of dried cranberries
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 cloves of garlic, minced
3 tablespoons lime juice
3 tablespoons oil

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Toss squash with 1 tablespoon oil, salt, and pepper. Lay in an even layer on a cookie sheet. Roast for about 30 - 40 minutes or until tender.

2. Meanwhile, combine the two kinds of rice and cook in salted water until tender, about 30 minutes.

3. Steam broccoli until just tender and then cool in an ice bath to keep the colour.

4. Toss together the rice, squash, broccoli, pecans, and cranberries. Then mix together the mustard, garlic, lime juice, and oil. Season to taste with salt and pepper and pour over the salad. Toss again and enjoy!

I'm going to serve a version of this dish at my Thanksgiving tonight. But my dish is going to be served in a little squash halves and filled with a mixture of rice, beans, nuts, cranberries, and maybe some herbs and veggies. If it turns out, I'll share it with soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment