Saturday 23 November 2013

Movember - Mo Sistas, Mo Cookies, and Mo-re

I like to think of myself as a Mo Sista this month. But before you start thinking I've been quietly growing a moustache behind your back, let me tell you that being a Mo Sista means helping to raise money and spread awareness in the battles against testicular and prostate cancer and mental health - all through the power of a moustache.

To start my journey as a Mo Sista, I decided I should put my talents to use and cook, bake, and creatively name my goodies. I thought about things that would be easy to make, fun to name, and about celebrity moustaches because what's a moustache without the likes of Burt Reynolds?

To start the fun I like the idea of inviting my good friend Burt Reynolds over for some Beet Reynolds Soup with mo croutons. :)

Read on for my recipe and save room for some Easy Mo Cookies. Then, if you're feeling generous, please click here to donate to a local Victoria, BC Movember team.

Beet Reynolds Soup - serves 6

2 onion, peeled and diced
4 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon oil
1 cup potatoes, peeled and diced
4 cups beets, peeled and diced
4 cups of veggie stock
2 teaspoons cumin
1/4 cup plain yogurt, for garnish
Salt and pepper, to taste
Toast, cut into moustaches with a cookie cutter - optional

1. Add onions, garlic, and oil to a large soup pot and sauté in medium low heat until onions soften,
about 5 minutes.

2. Add potatoes, cumin, and beets and stir to combine. Add stock and bring to a simmer. Cook until veggies are soft, about 20 minutes.

3. Purée soup with an immersion blender. If soup is too thick, thin with a little more stock.

4. Ladle soup into bowls. Add yogurt to a squeeze bottle and squeeze moustaches on top of bowl. Smear moustaches into place with a spoon. Enjoy!


Easy Mo Cookies - makes about 24

1 package of Pillsbury Sugar Cookie dough
1 tablespoon of dried lavender, optional
Zesty from one lemon, optional
Frosting, for garnish
Coconut, for garnish

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. 

2. If desired, combine dough with lavender and lemon zest and mix well. Cookies made with these mix ins look a little like stubbly moustaches, just starting to grow in, before they're frosted. 

3. Roll out dough and cut into moustache shapes with a cookie cutter. 

4. Bake for about 10-12 minutes or until just starting to brown. 

5. Let cookies cool and then frost and decorate with coconut for a white moustache look! 

Disclosure: I am part of the Life Made Delicious Blogger Program and I receive special perks as part of my affiliation with this group. The opinions on this blog are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Hehe, these are both so cute :) Love the coconut on the 'stache cookies too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Heather! I had fun coming up with ideas for this post!

    ReplyDelete