Monday 10 February 2014

Red and White Breakfast

It's February so, if you remember my New Year's resolution to try one new food a month, that means it's time for me to bring you something new. This month my new food is amaranth seeds and, in a weird way, the new recipe I made with them is bringing back some old childhood memories.

I was inspired by a recipe for Amaranth Porridge that I saw in Pinterest and one taste of it made me remember sitting in my Nana's kitchen and asking for big bowls of cream of wheat. These memories set my dish up for something special, but when you factor in that amaranth is full of protein and other healthy benefits, it's a real winner.

Plus, I top my Amaranth Porridge with beautiful red strawberries and tasty white coconut and yogurt covered raisins, so it's perfect for serving on Valentine's Day and for cheering on our Canadian Olympians!

Amaranth Porridge with Strawberries - serves 2-3

3/4 cup amaranth seeds
1 can of coconut milk
1/4 teaspoon each of salt and nutmeg
1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar, optional
1 cup of fresh strawberries, chopped
1/4 cup of yogurt covered raisins
2 tablespoons of shredded unsweetened coconut

1. Soak amaranth seeds in water overnight.

2. In the morning, drain the amaranth seeds well. Add the amaranth seeds to a medium sized pot with the coconut milk, salt, and nutmeg. Simmer on medium low heat for about 30 minutes or until the mixture turns into a thick and delicious porridge.

3. Taste porridge and, if needed, stir in a little brown sugar. Just remember that the yogurt covered raisins will add a lot of sweetness too.

4. Scoop porridge into bowls and top with strawberries, yogurt covered raisins, and coconut. Enjoy!

And hey, because I also love the Americans, why not try adding a few blueberries in with the strawberries. Our friends from the south could use a little cheering on during the games too!

No comments:

Post a Comment