Sunday 20 April 2014

Peep Show


This month Dawn from Spatulas on Parade challenged us to use Peeps and lemon to make something delicious in the Crazy Ingredient Challenge. I love lemon and use it in almost everything, but I had never even tried a Peep before this challenge.

Since I knew that Peeps were sugar dusted marshmallows, I knew I would be making a dessert. I couldn't even fathom the thought of trying to stuff those little guys into a dinner. And what do I think of when making a marshmallow dessert, rice crispie squares!

I decided to "fancy up" my idea a little and used puffed quinoa in place of rice crispies and I added a few additional treats in place of Easter sprinkles too. I think this recipe is worth keeping, crazy ingredients or not!


Peeps and Puffed Quinoa Tarts with Lemon Curd - makes about 12 mini tarts

1 cup of puffed quinoa (or rice crispies)
1 tablespoon each of flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, chopped dried cranberries, and goji berries
1 pinch of salt
1 tablespoon butter
1 cup of Peeps (or mini marshmallows)
1/4-1/2 cup of lemon curd, homemade or purchased

1. If you are making you own lemon curd, start this first and begin making your tart shells while the lemon curd is cooling. If you are using a jar of lemon curd, start making your tart shells now.

2. Begin by tossing together the puffed quinoa, flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, cranberries, and goji berries. Set aside.

3. Next melt the butter in a medium pot on the stove. When the butter is melted, chop up and add the Peeps. Stir to help the Peeps melt evenly. Once either Peeps are melted, add the puffed quinoa mixture and stir until well combined.

4. Scoop the Peeps and puffed quinoa mixture into mini muffin tins and use the end of. Greased spoon to press the mixture up against the sides of the tin to form the sides of the tart shells. Let cool.

5. When the lemon curd and the tart shells are cool, evenly divide the lemon curd between the tart shells and enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. Great way to use the PEEPS Sarah! Love your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a crazy and great idea! This recipe is definitely a keeper. Happy Easter.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great idea! I love lemon curd and using quinoa instead of rice cereal was brilliant.
    Dawn
    Spatulas On Parade

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clever idea! I like this. Great use of the ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Definitely fancied. Love it.

    ReplyDelete