Thursday 29 May 2014

Thai-ed Up

After I get home from work I have had days where I am completely exhausted. It's hot out, I've had a busy day, or I just don't feel like cooking. But I usually want to eat something healthy, so I'm not ordering a pizza.

Those are days I hope I remember this Peanut Butter Thai Noodle Salad recipe. This dish is no-cook, quick, healthy, and yummy. Plus it makes enough for leftovers for the next night and that's always a plus - if the dish is good!


Peanut Butter Thai Noodle Salad - serves 4

Salad

1/2 package of vermicelli rice noodles
2 carrots, cut into thin matchsticks
1 red pepper, cut into thin matchsticks
1 bag of bean sprouts, divided
1/4 cup of cilantro, roughly chopped
1/4 cup of mint, torn
1/4 cup of peanuts
2 tablespoons sesame seeds, black, white, or a mix

Salad Dressing

1/3 cup of peanut butter, creamy or chunky
1/3 cup of tamarind concentrate (a sweet and sour liquid purée, you could use honey and lime juice as an alternative)
2-3 tablespoons fish sauce
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 inch chunk of ginger, peeled and minced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
Honey and lime juice, to taste

1. Bring a pot of water to a boil. Then remove it from the heat and soak the vermicelli in it for about five minutes or until tender. Drain the noodles and run under cold water to quickly chill them.

2. Next, whisk together all the ingredients in the dressing. As with all Thai cooking, add more sweet, sour, salty, and spicy ingredients to your taste.

3. Toss together the dressing, the rice noodles, half of the bean sprouts, the carrot, and the red pepper. Scoop into bowls and top with herbs, more bean sprouts, peanuts, and sesame seeds. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment