Sunday 10 August 2014

Homegrown Lettuce

It's August and I think this is the first year I've kept my resolution all the way to the eighth month of the year! I promised myself that I would try one new food each month for all of 2014 and I'm proud that I've actually kept it up.

This month isn't quite as adventurous as other months, but it did take a lot more work than just pursuing the isles at the Bulk Barn. This month I tried homegrown lettuce!

I have grown lettuce before but for some reason it's always been a little too bitter for me to really enjoy. But this lettuce is different; it's tender, sweet, and a real treat to eat.

I paired my homegrown lettuce with some other yummy summertime ingredients - barbecued peaches, a light lemon vinaigrette, salmon, and blue cheese. I think I came up with a winning salad, but read on for the recipe to see if you agree.

Grilled Jerk Salmon and Peach Salad - serves 4-5 

3 firm and ripe peaches or nectarines, halved 
6 cups of torn lettuce or baby greens 
1/3 cup of blue cheese, crumbled 
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 teaspoons honey
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard 
1/4 teaspoon salt 
1 recipe of Jerk Salmon, prepared with skin on salmon but not cooked

1. Start by preheating your barbecue to medium heat. 

2. When grill is preheated, clean well and then lay salmon fillets skin side down in the grill. Lay peach halves flesh side down next to the salmon. Cook salmon just until it begins to flake and peaches just until grill marks form and they warm through.

3. While salmon and peaches are grilling, whisk together the oil, lemon juice, honey, mustard and salt  to make your dressing. Set aside. 

4. To serve pile toss the lettuce with the dressing, using just enough to lightly coat the greens, and serve a pile on each plate. Top with a little crumbled blue cheese, half of a grilled peach, and a fillet of Jerk Salmon. Enjoy!


If you'd like to revisit any of my other monthly posts on the new foods I've tried in 2014, I've compiled them all in one place for you right here. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment