Sunday 7 September 2014

Homemade Enchilada Sauce

I love Mexican food for the spicy, bright, and big flavours I always find in it. Fresh herbs, creamy avocados, bright veggies, citrus, and hot peppers make me smile. And I love that Mexican food always seems to be smothered in a flavourful sauce. 

My mole sauce is one of my favourites and I'm planning on sharing my new recipe for guacamole soon, but today seems like a good day to share my recipe for enchilada sauce. It's rich with tomatoes and spice, delicious on enchiladas, and too easy to ever to search the shelves for ever again. 



Enchilada Sauce - makes about 2 cups

2 tablespoons butter
2 tablespoons flour
3 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin
2 small cans of tomato paste
2 cups vegetable broth
1 pinch salt
Hot sauce, to taste

1. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan.

2. Stir in the flour until fully combined. Then add in the spices. Mix to combine.

3. Add tomato paste and broth and bring mixture to a boil. Season to taste with salt and hot sauce (if desired).

4. Use with enchiladas or any Mexican dish you like.


No comments:

Post a Comment