Wednesday 5 November 2014

Beet Pesto

I love a good pesto on pasta, burgers, as a dip, or on veggies. I love it made from basil and pine nuts, sundried tomatoes, or really anything. I just love that it's a super flavourful and vibrant sauce.

Today's recipe takes vibrant to a new level. It's a sweet, rich, and über vibrant Beet Pesto and it's perfect for serving in place of any of your favourite pestos.

If this recipe reminds you of something else you've seen on my blog, it might be because it's really similar to my Alien Spaghetti I made for Halloween last year! But considering this recipe has cheese in it and is a little hardier, I like it even more!



Beet Pesto - makes about 1 1/2 cups

1 cup of beets, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup of walnuts
3 cloves of garlic
1/2 cup of parmesan cheese
1/4 cup of olive oil
1/4 teaspoon salt, plus salt for cooking beets

1. Boil beets in salted water until tender, about 15-20 minutes.

2. Scoop beets from water and add to a food processor with garlic, walnuts, and parmesan cheese. Reserve water.

3. Slowly pour oil into the food processor, while pulsing, to purée pesto. Add some of the reserved cooking liquid from the beets or additional oil if you'd like a thinner pesto.

4. Continue pulsing until pesto reaches your desired consistency.

1 comment: