Monday 22 September 2014

Mexi-Style

I have been on a wrap kick for the last few weeks and really enjoying that kind of dinner. There aren't a lot of dishes, it's not messy, no cutlery is required, and it's not a lot of work.

I know if that's all I was looking for, I could just head to the nearest McDonalds. But I also like a few vitamins in my meals. And home-cooked wraps provide all the vitamins I could ever want. I'm making them, so I can put just about anything I'd like into them.

Today's recipe is more than just a wrap. It's a whole Mexican dinner stuffed into a wrap. And, if you're into wraps, it's great served as a casserole and just topped with avocados and cheese. I've happily eaten it that way more than once!

Mexican Rice and Bean Wraps - serves 6

1 cup of brown rice, measured dry and cooked
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon oil
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small sweet potato, peeled and cut into small cubes
1 cup of frozen corn
1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/4 cups enchilada sauce, homemade or store bought
1/2 cup cilantro, finely chopped
2 medium avocados, sliced
1/2 cup cheddar cheese, grated
6 large tortilla wraps

1. Sauté onion, garlic, and sweet potato with the oil in a large pan at medium heat until onion and sweet potatoes are soft, about 10 - 15 minutes.

2. Add in corn, beans, rice, enchilada sauce, and cilantro. Stir to combine and cook until everything is warm.

3. Divide rice and bean mixture onto wraps and top with avocado and cheese. Roll up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment